What you need:
1. Scraps of paper or card stock
2. Scraps of embroidery thread
3. Mod Podge
What you do:
1. Cut your paper to the width that you want your beads to be. Wrap the paper around something like a BBQ skewer (other ideas: a long nail, a thin paint brush, a toothpick...) and glue the ends together. Make sure you don't glue the paper to the skewer.
2. Apply a coat of Mod Podge to the outside of the paper bead. Start wrapping the scrap piece of thread around the paper.
3. Trim the extra thread and add a thin layer of Mod Podge to the outside of the bead. Let the bead dry (I moved the bead along the skewer a few times while it was drying to make sure it didn't get stuck).
Now you can use these beads to make a bracelet, or you can mix them with other beads. I think they would look especially cute as a part of a hemp friendship bracelet.