Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Crafty Wednesday: Photo Collage a Letter or Letters Tutorial


DIY PHOTO COLLAGE LETTERS
http://www.houseontheway.com/diy-photo-collage-letters/


DIY Photo Collage Letters-Cover


~SPELL OUT YOUR MEMORIES~

Sometimes memories are best kept to ourself, but there are times when they should be shared. They should be shared and enjoyed by everyone. That was on my mind as my daughter’s graduation neared. The idea of not only creating a new memory for her with a graduation party, but also giving her and the guests some special memories to enjoy.  That’s when this fabulous idea for party decor that is also an amazing keepsake came in…
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Last week I shared her Twilight graduation party and one of the details that everyone loved was the DIY photo collage letters that spelled her name. When I began thinking about creating a photo memory collage or board to share, I knew that I wanted something different. I wanted something that would stand out and fit well with the party. That’s when I decided to not only use large wooden letters to spell her name, but I decorated them with black and white photos of my daughter with her friends and family.
DIY Photo Collage Letters-Cover
Today I thought I’d share a step-by-step tutorial on making this great keepsake.

SUPPLIES: WOODEN LETTERS, MOD PODGE, PAINTBRUSH, SCISSORS AND COPIES OF PHOTOS


DIY Photo Collage Letters-9
Before you begin, you can paint the edges and the back of the letters to give them a finished look. For my daughter’s letters, I used a black sharpie on the edges.
Choose your photos that you want to use for your photo collage and make copies of them. I love the look of the black and white photos, but you could also do color. I recommend not “printing” your photos directly from your computer, but rather make real copies with a copier. In my experience, when I printed the photos directly from the computer, the ink turned green after being decoupaged. You want to use a laser printer, not an inkjet printer.
Your photos will need to be shaped and trimmed to fit the letters. Once you have determined where you want to place the photos, you can easily create a crease in the paper to match the shape of the letter. Use the crease to trim your photo.
DIY Photo Collage Letters-8
Before applying any Mod Podge, decide the placement of the photos, including which photo overlaps the other, etc. Once you have that figured out, you will be able to work in steps with the Mod Podge. It’s almost like working a puzzle.
DIY Photo Collage Letters-7
You will need to know which photo needs to be attached first…second…etc.  Apply enough Mod Podge to the letter, for one photo. Work with one photo at a time.
DIY Photo Collage Letters-6
After applying the Mod Podge to the letter, add the photo. Smooth the photo completely and use a straight edge if needed to work out any air bubbles.
DIY Photo Collage Letters-5
Continue to add photos, paying attention to placement and overlap.
DIY Photo Collage Letters-4
DIY Photo Collage Letters-3
When all of your photos are attached, let them dry for about 30 minutes and then you can brush Mod Podge over all the photos.
DIY Photo Collage Letters-1
They can be used as a decoration at a party or celebration and as room decor later.
DIY Photo Collage Letters-2
It’s a fun twist to the typical photo collage. At my daughter’s party, the photo collage letters became a focal point of the decor and the guests loved looking at the photos. It’s a great way to add a unique, personal touch to your celebration.
DIY Photo Collage Letters-12
By creating these photo collage letters for my daughter, I gave my daughter a keepsake to remember her graduation and the amazing party that we had to celebrate the once in a lifetime accomplishment. They represent the path that she took to get to that point in her life and everything and everyone that she holds dear.

No comments:

Post a Comment