Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Crafty Wednesday ~ DIY Nautical Mirror

CRAFTY WEDNESDAY  ~  DIY NAUTICAL MIRROR
by:  http://www.thelilypadcottage.com/2012/09/nautical-rope-mirrors.html

Nautical Rope Mirrors


I love LOVE Pottery Barn, if I could just move into one of their catalogs I would (except that my children’s barbies and legos would look totally out of place)!  The nautical rope mirrors they featured this summer were amazing and I liked how they had art displayed with rope and dock cleats.  I was inspired to try and get the same feeling in my space so this is what I came up with:
Nautical Rope Mirror - www.thelilypadcottage.com
 The above photo is an updated shot I added so you may notice the bedroom looks totally different!  Stay tuned on the rest of my master bedroom makeover in the next few weeks!  Ok back to the mirrors -
I wish I had taken some “how to” photos along the way but I will try to break it down for you.
I used the largest mirror charger (you know the thing they normally put centerpieces and candles on at weddings) I could find at Hobby Lobby, they were like $8.  I took some sturdy foam board, cut a larger circle around the mirror, and glued the mirror in the center.
Cut a slit in the foam board right next to the mirror on what will be the top (you will use this to slide the rope thru to cover up the unsightly ends of the rope circles).  Next wrap your rope around the outer edge of the mirror, cutting the ends and taping them so they don’t fray. Continue to do this until all the foam board is covered (this ended up being 4 coils for me). Glue it all down with hot glue.
Now to cover up the ugly taped ends.  I unwound a portion of the rope so I had a thinner piece of rope to work with.  Thread the rope thru the slit you cut earlier and wrap around repeating until it covers all the ends.
Attach a length of rope on the back, get your self some dock cleats (living on the water we have a marine store down the road that I got them from, but you can get them online as well) and you are good to go!
There is a tutorial a bit similar to this that I saw on the Nate Berkus Show website, but they used a large mirror ($$) and glued the rope right to the mirror.  That would be a good option too but I wanted to make 2 of these and not break the bank!

No comments:

Post a Comment