Quick Hopping John
History has it that if you eat this old Southern favorite of rice and black-eyed peas on New Year's Day, you'll have good luck all year. We don't know about that, but we think we should eat 'em all year-round for good measure!
Cooking Time: 25 min
What You'll Need:
- 3 slices bacon, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 (15-ounce) can black-eyed peas, undrained
- 1 (6.2-ounce) package quick long-grain rice, seasoning packet included
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
What To Do:
- In a large saucepan over medium-high heat, cook bacon until crisp, stirring often. Add celery and onion; cook 4 to 5 minutes, or until vegetables are tender, stirring constantly.
- Stir in chicken broth and peas; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 5 minutes.
- Stir in rice and thyme. Remove from heat; cover and let stand 5 to 7 minutes, or until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender.
Read more at http://www.mrfood.com/Potatoes-Rice/Quick-Hopping-John-4737#Mm3i0MqMCr0P6dIc.99