Monday, March 9, 2015

Monday Solutions: Turn a French Armoire into a Great Sewing Cabinet


Monday Solutions:  Turn a French Armoire into a Sewing Cabinet

http://lindycottagehill.blogspot.com/2011/01/magic-sewing-table.html


DIY Sewing Cabinet
  The transformation of this antique french armoire into a sewing cabinet has been months and months in the making but I think it's the best dang (math) project  I've ever done.


Not that I'm mathematically challenged.  I just don't challenge myself mathematically -- that's all.  But for this one, I had to rip out the old count-u-la-tor and a few extra brain cells to get what I wanted.  



The "fit" had to be exact and I'm not sure how, but I got it on the first try -- but just barely.  The problem was I needed the table to be as large as possible but still fit inside the cabinet.  Oh, and I wanted the doors to close, too.  Pesky doors. 




I wish I had some really great tutorial to add here but everyone's armoire and measurements would be different so that won't really work.  I can post a boat load of pictures so you can see just how it works.  Here you go...


Little Miss Plain Jane...


 I used just one sheet of birch plywood, three piano hinges and drop leaf table hardware I found on the internet.



I had to lift up the back end so the height was right.



I added a yardstick to the front edge for convenience.


 And then I added a few bells and whistles.



Hooks on the back wall hold templates.



I wanted hanging storage on the doors but the doors wouldn't close with it hanging there so...


I stitched them onto child sized hangers.  I flip the hangers to the back when they're hanging on the doors....


Then I hang them in the cabinet when I need to close the doors.


My sewing machine slips right into place...


The table folds up...


And my sweet little grandtwin's guest room is back in business...


No comments:

Post a Comment