Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Crepe Paper Flower Embellishment

Sometime the packaging is almost as important as the gift!  Here is a really cool tutorial to make a crepe paper glittered flower to put as an embellishment on any gift or scrapbook page or even as a cute napkin ring holder.  Check it out from Under a Blue Moon:

Crepeflower
I saw a picture of a glittery pink flower and decided I needed to figure out how to make a one for myself.
Here are the step by step (mostly) pictures and directions:
Flower Tutorial
Step 1:
First take a length of crepe paper streamer (mine is about 24" long) and fan-fold into eight layers.

Then cut out a double humped shape to make the petals (you will have eight of them). They don't have to be perfectly even.
Step 2:
I took a small button and smeared a thin layer of glue on it and then plunked it into the glitter.  I then took a small rhinestone and put it in the middle for added bling.

I also got the base of my flower ready.  I just cut a circle about an inch in diameter out of card stock.
Step 3:
I found the best way to glitter the edges was to pour a little pile of white glue and a little pile of fine glitter onto a piece of card stock.  Then fold the petal in half and gently dab the edges in the glue and then in the glitter.  Unfold and let dry.
Step 4:
When the petal edges were dry I scrunched up the bottom and glued it to the outer edge of card stock circle.  Do the same with the second petal, glueing it to the opposite side.
Step 5:
Repeat with two more petals.
Step 6:
For the second layer of petals I glued them a little closer to the center and off-set them so they covered two of the petals from the first layer.
Step 7:
Repeat with the last two petals.
Step 8:
Glue your glittered button to the center.  
And there you have it.  I thought it made a pretty embellishment for a present.  Or you make a napkin ring out of a strip of cardstock and glue it to that for a girly napkin ring.  


~Jennifer

3 comments:

  1. Pretty! I have not played with crepe paper in a long time! I bet there is some here...somewhere! LOL

    Thanks for sharing!

    <><
    http://christiecottage.blogspot.com/2012/11/wonderful-wednesday.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL - I know I always have crepe paper stashed around the house somewhere too!

    ReplyDelete